CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS – Collection of Somali Oral Literature. Submit your poems, stories & artworks for publishing into a book before June 5th 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org or check http://puntlandwomenwriters.org/events/
The Puntland Women Writers Association (PWWA) is a Somali women’s network organization that was established 5 years. The network promotes Somali women’s participation in cultural, social, economic and political activities by providing them a platform in which they can voice their opinions on matters that affect them. Grounded on the historical Somali custom of poetry and art as forms of communication and cultural engagement, PWWA uses creative writing, digital journalism and literary galas to influence the masses and inspire change. PWWA also facilitates activities and builds capacity for its members to cultivate, craft and refine talent for writing to give visibility to women’s writing as an asset for mobilization and dissemination.
PWWA has grown extensively over the past years connecting with African Women Writers Associations throughout Africa and creating partnerships with donors such as ADRA Somalia. PWWA also actively took part in the formation and set up of the African Women Writers Network of which it is an active member. Puntland Women Writers Association (PWWA) implementing a project to document and disseminate Somali oral literature. PWWA will publish the submitted works. Contributors will automatically become part of the PWWA network and access opportunities for mentorship, training and more. The collection will feature contributions from both Somali men and women from all walks of life and all over the world.
Call for contributions
Are you an aspiring writer, great story teller, poet, visual artist, photographer or music composer? If yes, this is an opportunity for you to showcase your talent. Puntland Women Writers Association (PWWA) is looking for you and wants you to be part of this great initiative to explore the rich literature and art culture of the Somali community and also become a Champion for change. The activity is open to everyone in and out of Somalia. The theme is open and can include topics like migration, peace and conflict, human rights, female genital mutilation, drug abuse, terrorism, radicalization, young people’s vision for Somalia’s transformation, gender empowerment, education, health, sports, creative arts, etc.
Rules and guidelines
- Group submissions (upto 3 people) are allowed
- Written work should not exceed 3000 words
- An individual can submit a maximum of 4 stories and/or poems, 2 visual art forms and photography
- Submitted work should not contain offensive, demeaning, hateful or violent content
- Work can be submitted in Somalia, English or Arabic
- Submission should be sent to email@example.com
- Contributions should include your names, the titles of the pieces you are submitting and a brief biography of yourself
- For visual art, the submission formats must be high resolution JPEG or PDF
- The best poems, stories and artworks will be rewarded
- Submit your work by June 5th 2019